Persian Style Steamed Beef Carrot Rice
Nutritious and sweet - Persian style rice steamed with carrots, beef chunks and a dash of cinnamon.
Carrots are loaded with nutrients!
Carrots contains beta carotene (converted into Vitamin A by the body). Vitamin K, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol) and Vitamin B (Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Niacin). Minerals like Potassium and Manganese. Also Sodium, Fluoride and Phosphorus, Iron, Zinc, Copper, Selenium and Calcium, Carbohydrates, Protein, Biotin and Thiamine.
Havij means 'carrot', Polo means 'steamed rice' in the Persian language or Farsi (Arabic pronunciation of Parsi).
- Beef - 1 pound (chunks)
- Rice - 3 cups uncooked
- Carrots - 3 medium (grated)
- Onion - 1 medium (chopped)
- Brown sugar - 3 tablespoons
- Cinnamon - 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Butter - 1/2 cup
- Oil - 1 1/2 tablespoons
- Water - 7 cups
- Rinse rice in warm water several times to remove excess starch.
- Fill large pot with water (two to three times the amount of rice), add salt, add 1 teaspoon of oil, add rice, and bring to a boil.
- Stir occasionally to prevent kernels from sticking together. Cook until rice is no longer crunchy but still firm.
- Drain rice in a colander, then rinse with cold water and set aside.
Sauté Beef and Carrots:
- Sauté onions in butter, remove from pan and set aside.
- Sauté carrots in remaining butter and set aside.
- Brown the beef chunks in cooking oil. Use high heat to sear surface areas, this helps to retain juices - 1 minute per side.
- Pour 1 cup of water over meat, add seasonings, cover with lid and let simmer until meat is tender.
- Remove cooked meat and set aside.
Steam Rice and Beef:
- Place oil at the bottom of a pot and sprinkle in layers of steamed rice.
- Between layers of rice, alternate layers of beef, onions and carrots.
- Or mix ingredients in a bowl, then arrange mixture in a pot, in a mound formation.
- Dissolve sugar in water remaining from cooked meat, mix in cinnamon then pour over mound of rice mixture.
- Wrap lid with clean towel and place over pot.
- Steam for 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve with a tangy batch of pickled vegetables on the side.
|Please help promote this page on the internet!|
Taken from the comments section at Amazon
"This is a prefect size pot for our family, and is getting significant use. We eat a lot of soups and stews. Something we really appreciate are the insulated handles that allow you to pick up the pot, while hot, without using oven pads or mitts. A terrific kitchen tool at a very good proce. We plan on extending our purchases of Calphalon cookware. "
Simply Calphalon Nonstick 7-qt. Dutch Oven & Cover
support this website - visit Mystic Persia boutique