Rice with Lentils and Chicken
Adas Polo ba Gusht
Basmati rice cooked with lentils, sprinkles with cashews, raisins and spices and served with broiled chicken on the side.
Lentils are a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Folate and Manganese. Also a good source of Protein, Iron, Phosphorus and Copper.
- Chicken - 1 pound (quartered)
- Basmati rice - 3 cups
- Lentils - 1 cup
- Raisins - 1/4 cup
- Cashews - 1/4 cup (slivered)
- Onion - 1 small (chopped)
- Garlic - 2 cloves (chopped)
- Saffron - 1/8 teaspoon
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cooking oil - 3 tablespoons
- Butter - 1 tablespoons
Sauté Onions and Chicken:
- Sauté onions in a frying pan, add garlic just before onions are done, then set aside.
- Cut chicken into pieces and place into frying pan with cooking oil. Braze on both sides until golden brown then reduce heat.
- Dissolve salt and turmeric into 2 cups of water, pour solution over chicken pieces, cover pan with lid and let simmer for 25 minutes.
Prepare Rice and Lentils:
- Wash and boil rice for 10 minutes until firm but not mushy (add salt and oil to prevent sticky rice).
- Wash and boil lentils until firm but not mushy.
- Drain water from both rice and lentils, then place both in a bowl, add cinnamon and raisins and throughly mix.
Steam Rice and Chicken:
- Place 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pot, then sprinkle rice mixture into pot using a large spoon.
- Place a layer of chicken pieces over rice, then spoon in the rest of the rice mixture.
- Form a mound shape by avoiding the sides of the pot.
- Use the handle of the spoon to perforate the mound all the way to the bottom of the pot, in several places.
- Before covering the pot, wrap a clean dry towel around the lid which will absorb excess moisture to prevent the rice from becoming soggy.
- Cook rice for on low heat for 35 to 45 minutes before serving.
- To ensure a golden crust will form at the bottom of the pot, cook rice on medium heat for 15 minutes, then reduce heat and cook for another 30 minutes before serving.
- Place cooked rice and chicken in a platter.
- Dissolve saffron in a bit of warm water and butter. Mix saffron thoroughly with a cup of rice until all the kernels turn a bright yellow.
- Sprinkle saffron flavored rice and slivered cashews over rice and chicken before serving.
- Enjoy with a green salad.
|Please help promote this page on the internet!|
Taken from the comments section at Amazon
"This is a prefect size pot for our family, and is getting significant use. We eat a lot of soups and stews. Something we really appreciate are the insulated handles that allow you to pick up the pot, while hot, without using oven pads or mitts. A terrific kitchen tool at a very good proce. We plan on extending our purchases of Calphalon cookware. "
Simply Calphalon Nonstick 7-qt. Dutch Oven & Cover
support this website - visit Mystic Persia boutique