Steamed Rice with Lentilsadas polo
A very tasty and nutritious Persian rice dish. Brown lentil beans cooked along with basmati rice.
You can add raisins for extra taste. Great tasting vegan rice dish - perfect for vegetarians.
Iranian cuisine features a lot of recipes with lentils. Relatively quick and easy to prepare, lentils beans are also very yummy and good for you. Lentils are high in fiber and essential nutrients. Studies show lentils help prevent Heart Disease.
Adas means 'lentils' and Polo means 'steamed rice' in the Persian language or Farsi (Arabic pronunciation of Parsi).
- Basmati rice - 3 cups
- Lentils - 1 cup
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Cooking oil - 3 teaspoons
- Butter - 1 tablespoon
- Rinse rice in warm water several times to remove excess starch.
- Fill large pot with water (two to three times the amount of rice), add salt, add 1 teaspoon of oil, add rice, and bring to a boil.
- Stir occasionally to prevent kernels from sticking together. Cook until rice is no longer crunchy but still very firm.
- Drain rice in a colander, then rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Wash lentils in warm water.
- Fill large pot with water (two to three times the amount of lentils), add lentils and bring to a boil.
- Do not overcook lentils, remove from heat while beans are still firm. Use a colander to drain water from lentil beans and set aside.
Steam Rice and Lentils
- Blend rice and lentil beans in a large bowl.
- Place 2 teaspoons of oil in a large pot, if you like, melt some butter for extra flavoring, then sprinkle rice into pot using a large spoon. Form a mound shape by avoiding the sides of the pot.
- Use the handle of a wooden spoon to perforate the mound all the way to the bottom of the pot, in several places.
- Before covering the pot, wrap a clean dry towel around the lid which will absorb excess moisture to prevent the rice from becoming soggy.
- Cook rice and bean mixture over very low heat for 30 to 40 minutes before serving.
- To ensure a golden crust will form at the bottom of the pot, cook rice on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, then reduce heat and cook for another 30 minutes before serving.
- Serve hot alongside broiled chicken.
|Please help promote this page on the internet!|
Taken from the comments section at Amazon
"This is a prefect size pot for our family, and is getting significant use. We eat a lot of soups and stews. Something we really appreciate are the insulated handles that allow you to pick up the pot, while hot, without using oven pads or mitts. A terrific kitchen tool at a very good proce. We plan on extending our purchases of Calphalon cookware. "
Simply Calphalon Nonstick 7-qt. Dutch Oven & Cover
support this website - visit Mystic Persia boutique