Adas Polo ba Khorma
Lentils and dates not only add a sweet taste, but they make this meal very nutritious. Great tasting vegan rice dish - perfect for vegetarians. Iranian cuisine features a lot of recipes with lentils. They are relatively quick and easy to prepare. They are yummy and good for you.
Lentils are high in fiber and essential nutrients. Studies show lentils help prevent Heart Disease.
Adas means 'lentils' and Khorma means 'dates' in the Persian language or Farsi (Arabic pronunciation of Parsi).
- Basmati rice - 3 cups
- Lentils - 1 cup
- Raisins - 1/4 cup
- Dates - 1/2 cup without pits
- Onion - 1 small chopped
- Salt - 1 teaspoon
- Ground saffron - 1/4 teaspoon
- Cooking oil - 3 teaspoons
- Butter - 1 tablespoon
Wash and Boil Rice:
- Rinse rice in warm water several times to remove excess starch.
- Fill large pot with water (two to three times the amount of rice), add salt, add 1 teaspoon of oil, add rice, and bring to a boil.
- Stir occasionally to prevent kernels from sticking together. Cook until rice is no longer crunchy but still very firm.
- Drain rice in a colander, then rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Wash lentils in warm water.
- Fill large pot with water (two to three times the amount of lentils), add lentils and pinch of salt.
- Cook over medium heat, do not overcook lentils, remove from heat while beans are still firm. Use a colander to drain water from lentil beans and set aside.
Caramelize Onions, Dates and Raisins:
- Caramelize chopped onion in a frying pan.
- Add cinnamon, dates, raisins then throughly mix.
Steam Rice, Lentil, Dates and Raisins:
- Blend rice, lentil beans, dates and raisin mixture in a large bowl.
- Place 2 teaspoons of oil in a large pot, if you like, melt some butter for extra flavoring, then sprinkle rice into pot using a large spoon. Form a mound shape by avoiding the sides of the pot.
- Use the handle of a wooden spoon to perforate the mound all the way to the bottom of the pot, in several places.
- Before covering the pot, wrap a clean dry towel around the lid which will absorb excess moisture to prevent the rice from becoming soggy.
- Cook rice and bean mixture over very low heat for 30 to 40 minutes before serving.
- To ensure a golden crust will form at the bottom of the pot, cook rice on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, then reduce heat and cook for another 30 minutes before serving.
Saffron and Butter:
- Make a watery solution by dissolving saffron with a bit of warm water, then blend with remaining butter.
- Mix saffron thoroughly with a cup of rice until all the kernels turn a bright yellow.
- Place rice in a platter and sprinkle saffron flavoured rice over top.
- Serve hot alongside broiled chicken.