Iranian style chicken salad recipe
Salade Olovieh / Olivieh
Named after the Belgian chef Lucien Olivier who invented it
This is my all time favorite chicken salad. However, is it fair to call it chichen salad, when it also includes potatoes, eggs, carrots...should I go on? Be aware, this salad is like money, it disappears quickly. Great for parties, great for lunches or for when you need something to snack on.
- Chicken meat - 1 1/2 lbs (boiled and cubed)
- Potatoes - 6 large (boiled and chopped)
- Eggs - 3 hard boiled
- Green peas - 1 cup
- Carrot - 1
- Lettuce - 3 leaves
- Tomato - 1 small
- Cucumber - 1 small
- Dill pickles - 4 small
- Olives - 6 medium (black or green)
- Onion - 1 small
- Garlic - 3 cloves
- Dillweed - 1/4 cup
- Parsley - 1/3 cup
- Salt - 1 tablespoon
- Pepper - 1/2 teaspoon
- Mayonnaise - 2 cups
- Dijon mustard - 2 tablespoons
- Milk - 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice - 2 teaspoons
- Butter - 1/2 cup
- Yogurt - 1/2 cup
- Boil chicken and chop into bite sized pieces.
- Boil potatoes, remove skin, then mash in a bowl along with milk and butter.
- Boil peas and carrots until soft, chop carrots into thin slices, before adding both to mixture.
- Boil three eggs, chop two of them into thin slices and add to mixture.
- Chopped onions, garlic, parsley, dill-weed, dill pickles and olives before adding to mixture.
- Add mayonnaise, mustard, yogurt, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
- Mix everything thoroughly, add extra mayonnaise as needed.
- Slice remaining egg, along with cucumber and tomato into thin slices.
- Decoratively arrange on top, chill in cooler for 1 hour.
- Serve with Nun Barbari or Nun taftoon.