Vegetable Bean Noodle soup
Aushe mean 'soup' and Resh-teh means 'noodle' in the Persian language or Farsi (Arabic pronunciation of Parsi).
Delicious soup made with noodles, beans and vegetables topped with whey and fried garlic. Iranian cuisine features a lot of recipes which call for beans. Beans are relatively quick and easy to prepare. They are yummy and good for you. Whey is made from milk and contains loads of protein.
- Wheat noodles - 1 package (reshteh)
- Whey - 2 cups (kashke)
- Kidney beans - 1/4 cup
- Black-eyed peas - 1/4 cup
- Chickpeas - 1/4 cup
- Lentils - 1/4 cup
- Spinach - 1 bunch
- Parsley - 1 bunch
- Coriander - 1/2 cup
- Dill weed - 1/2 cup
- Mint - 1/4 cup
- Onions - 1 medium
- green onions - 1 bunchv
- Garlic - 6 cloves
- Salt - 3 tablespoons
- Pepper - 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric - 1 teaspoon
- Water - 10 cups
- Vinegar - 1/4 cup
- Cooking oil - 3 tablespoons
Soak and cook beans
- Soak the beans
- Place beans into a large pot along with water, salt and oil, cook until beans turn soft but not mushy
- Wash lentils both brown and orange until water runs clear.
Saute onions and vegetables
- Sautee onions and garlic until golden brown. Set aside 1/3 for later use.
- Finely chop all green vegetables and add to remaining sauteed onions. Cook over medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add mixture to cooked beans in a large pot.
- Add noodles and condiments to mixture, cover with a lid and let simmer for 1 hour or so.
Saut mint prepare whey solution
- Add mint to sauteed onions previously set aside. Warm up the mixture for a few minutes over low heat.
- Dissolve dried whey in warm water and stir into a thick solution, add salt and pepper for taste.
Decorate soup with whey and fried garlic
- Place soup into a serving bowl, spread whey solution on the surface.
- Place fried mint mixture as garnish on top of the whey.
- Add a spoonful of vinegar before eating.