Beef Spinach with Kidney Beans Stew
Ghormeh Sabzi or Khoresht Sabzi
Beef chunks, kidney beans, chopped spinach, parsley, fenugreek and dried limes stewed to perfection, served with plain steamed rice flavored with saffron. Khoresht ghormeh sabzi is by far one of the most delicious and nutritious meals you will ever taste.
Don't be put off by list of ingredients, it is easy to prepare once you get the hang of it. I say this because friends of mine for whom I have prepared this meal, will always mention it with delight thereafter. I think, it may be the combination of beef, spinach, and kidney beans. If you like aromatic foods then don't skimp on the fenugreek.
Khoresht means 'stew', Ghormeh means 'potted' and Sabzi means 'greens' in the Persian language or Farsi (Arabic pronunciation of Parsi).
- Stewing beef - 1 1/2 lbs
- Red kidney beans - 1 cup - (substitute black eye beans)
- Spinach - 1 bunch large chopped
- Parsley - 1 bunch large chopped - (substitute coriander)
- Fenugreek (shanbalileh) - 2 tablespoons
- Onions - 2 medium
- Green onions or Scallions - 1 bunch small chopped
- Garlic - 4 cloves minced
- Dried limes - 2 whole
- Salt - 2/3 tablespoon
- Pepper - 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric - 1/2 teaspoon
- Cooking oil - 3 tablespoons
- Lemon juice - 3 tablespoons
- Water - 2 1/2 cups
- Save time by soaking beans before hand. Dissolve tablespoon of salt in warm water, add kidney beans and soak for a few hours. If possible soak overnight.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to heated frying pan and sauté chopped onions over medium heat. Reduce heat to low before adding chopped garlic. Cook for a minute or so, until garlic releases aroma. (Substitute Olive Oil if you like)
- Add diced stewing beef to sautéed onions, add turmeric and pepper. Place lid on pan and cook meat over medium heat. Stir frequently, making sure beef cooks evenly on all sides. When beef turns medium brown color reduce heat to low and keep warm.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to large pot, add chopped spinach, parsley, green onions and fenugreek (shanbalileh). Cover pot with lid and cook over medium-low heat until leaves loose their firmness.
- Rinse kidney beans before adding to the same pot, add water, salt and stir.
- Add stewing beef to the same pot, cover with lid and let simmer over medium-low heat for 1/2 hour.
- By now ingredients should be broken down, broth should be thick, with a distinctive aroma from fenugreek. Add dried limes and lemon juice. Reduce heat to low and let simmer for another 1 hour.
- Serve with plain steamed rice - chelo
Learn about Saffron spice
Spice made from the stigmas of saffron flower may well be the most amazing seasoning on the market.
Saffron adds rich flavour and exotic colour to your foods. High grade saffron stigmas contain potent amounts of nutrients necessary for good vision, healthy skin and a robust sexual appetite.
Click Here to learn more about Saffron plant and spice.